The Catholic University of America

Graduate Teacher Education Information and Documents

Now accepting applications

Teacher Education Documents

Teaching Credential Information

Interstate (Reciprocity) Agreement

All of CUA's teacher education programs are accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and state-approved by the District of Columbia.


Because the District of Columbia has signed a reciprocity agreement with 47 other states, candidates who apply to the District for their standard teaching license will find ti easier to apply for a license with those other states.  The following states have signed reciprocity agreements with Washington, D.C.:

 Alabama  Indiana  Nevada South Carolina
 Arizona  Kansas New Hampshire South Dakota
Arkansas  Kentucky New Jersey Tennessee
 California  Louisiana  New Mexico Texas
 Colorado  Maine  New York  Utah
 Connecticut  Maryland  North Carolina  Virginia
 Delaware  Massachusetts  North Dakota  Vermont
  Florida  Michigan  Ohio  Washington
 Georgia  Mississippi  Oklahoma  West Virginia
 Hawaii  Montana  Oregon  Wyoming
  Idaho  Nebraska  Pennsylvania  Virginia
  Illinois  Nevada  Rhode Island   


Early in their programs candidates should contact individual state jurisdictions where they are seeking employment for specific courses and tests necessary for full licensure.

PLEASE NOTE: Completing a teacher preparation program does not automatically result in teaching licensure.  Candidates must make formal application to each state in which they seek a license and obtain passing scores on both Praxis CORE and Praxis II for a teaching license for most states.  Information on Praxis CORE and Praxis II is available from the academic advisor, education faculty, and at the ETS website.

The best way to be licensed in any of these states is to apply first for a teaching license in the District of Columbia and then submit an application to the other state(s) in which licensure is sought.  All program requirements must be completed and the Office of the Registrar must confirm graduation from the NCATE accredited/State approved program before the application can be submitted.  The Office of the Registrar should be contacted about when graduation will be verified.